Building and renovations FAQs

Find the building and renovations frequently asked questions below:


  • How do I get a water meter relocated?

    See the relocating a water meter factsheet to find out all you need to know.
  • What can happen if Icon Water approval is not obtained?

    It is the owner's responsibility to determine what utility constraints apply to their land. It is also the owner's responsibility to engage experienced professional design agents to undertake the investigation. It is illegal to build structures or change ground levels contrary to the regulations that protect the city's water and sewerage services. The regulations are designed to protect Canberra's community assets.

    Icon Water is not responsible for any cost, liability, expense or loss – whether direct or consequential – that an owner of premises or their agent suffers or incurs as a result of the owner of premises or their agent failing to verify the presence and precise location of Icon Water utility equipment, or seeking Icon Water advice at the earliest and most appropriate design stage of a project.

    Under Utility legislation, the owner is held responsible for the costs of demolishing illegal work and making good any damage to Icon Water pipes and facilities

  • What should I remember when engaging a design agent?

    If you intend to engage a designer, architect, builder, engineer, landscaper or qualified professional to design, document and construct your project, make sure the terms of engagement require them to comply with utility requirements.
  • What structures require Icon Water approval?

    The Owner of Premises or their agent (under instruction) must make an application to Icon Water where works commissioned by them on or adjacent to a property will or have the potential to:

    • prevent, restrict or obstruct access to water and sewerage network equipment
    • cause harm to the water and sewerage network infrastructure or
    • present a risk to the health and safety of persons operating, maintaining or replacing the water and sewerage networks.

     Structures are not exempt from Development Application or Building Application processes, unless approved in writing by Icon Water.