ACT Life Support Rebate
If the life support equipment you depend on requires a fresh supply of water then the account holder of your principal place of residence may be entitled to a rebate on the water usage charges.
The rebate is calculated on a daily basis. Each rebate will appear on the water bill as a separate line item.
To be eligible for the rebate:
- the life support equipment must be prescribed by an ACT medical practitioner for the treatment of a life-threatening condition
- the property relating to the account has to be the sole or principal place of residence of the applicant
- the applicant must provide ActewAGL (as agents for Icon Water) with a current letter of authority signed by the applicant's ACT medical practitioner or an authorised officer of the ACT Department of Health, specifying the type of equipment and the amount of time in use.
To be eligible for the Home Haemodialysis rebate an applicant must provide:
- evidence that he/she is the registered owner or joint owner of the property or that the person receiving treatment resides permanently with the applicant
- notification to ActewAGL (as agents for Icon Water) in the event that the home dialysis treatment stops
- a letter from a medical practitioner/professional confirming that:
- the applicant is receiving treatment from a home dialysis machine, or
- the applicant is the guardian/parent/carer of a person receiving treatment from a home dialysis machine.
To apply, simply print the Life Support Electricity Rebate Application Form located on ActewAGL's website, fill it in, sign it and attach the appropriate authorisation, sending it to:
Customer Services ActewAGL
GPO Box 366
Canberra ACT 2601
Fax: 02 6248 3244
or phone 02 6248 3111 for assistance.
To complete this form you will need:
- a current letter of authority signed by your ACT medical practitioner or an authorised officer of the ACT Department of Health, specifying the type of equipment and the amount of time it is used
- your Icon Water account details for water and sewerage.
You will need to fill out a new application if you change your address. Applications must be submitted as soon as possible, prior to the issue of the first account on which the rebate is claimed. Retrospective adjustments may be made.
Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Water and sewerage are GST free.
If you require any further information or have any difficulty completing your application, please call ActewAGL (as agents for Icon Water) on 02 6248 3111.
For more information, including the current rebate rate, contact the Department of Disability, Housing and Community Services.