Pensioner Rebate

To make concessions accessible to more households, the energy and utility concession and the water and sewerage rebate will be combined into the one Utilities Concession from 1 July 2017. This will give extra relief to eligible renters who previously were not able to access the water and sewerage rebate. This change does not affect life support rebates. For more information go to the ACT Government website.

Water and sewerage — pension rebate

For Veterans' Affairs gold card and Pensioner Concession cardholders, the water and sewerage rebate is calculated as a percentage of your water and sewerage supply charges. For Health Care cardholders, the rebate calculation is the same but the rebate applies only to your water charges. Your rebate will be listed as a separate line item on your invoice as "Pension rebate" or "Health Care card rebate water", as appropriate.

Please note, you must be listed as the current account holder to be eligible.


To be eligible for the rebate/s for each billing period:

  • the property relating to the account has to be the sole or principal place of residence of the applicant
  • the applicant has to provide ActewAGL (as agents for Icon Water) with details of the concession card. The Pensioner Concession card or Health Care card has to be issued to the applicant by Centrelink and the gold card (certain types only), by the Department of Veterans' Affairs
  • only one rebate will be allowed for an account in each billing period.

Please note

If there is more than one water and sewerage account holder the pension rebate is dependent on the number of cardholders.

For example: Sally holds a pension card and owns 80% of the property. Her husband David does not hold a card and owns the other 20%. The rebate will be calculated based on the 80% owned by Sally the cardholder.


Simply call 02 6248 3111 and speak with one of our friendly customer services representatives or complete and submit a pensioner rebate application form online on ActewAGL's website.

To complete this form you will need to supply:

  • your Centrelink Pensioner / Health Care card number or your Department of Veterans' Affairs gold card number
  • the date of effect of your card; name on your card; and, for Health Care cardholders, the expiry date
  • your Icon Water water and sewerage account number.

Please note

You will need to reapply for a concession if you change your address. Applications must be submitted as soon as possible prior to the issue of the first account on which the rebate is claimed.

Goods and Services Tax (GST)

Water and sewerage are GST free.

Contact information

For further information or to apply for the rebate please call Icon Water on 02 6248 3111.