Pensioner Rebate

Utilities Concession

From 1 July 2017, the ACT Government made the decision to combine the water and sewerage rebate, with the energy and utility concession for your electricity bill. The new rebate is called the Utilities Concession and is now applied to your electricity bill.

Why the change?

Previously, Canberrans who were renting received a $426/year rebate on their electricity bills, but didn’t receive a rebate for their water and sewerage costs. This put them at a disadvantage – renters still indirectly pay water and sewerage bills because the cost is passed on to them via rent.

Homeowners, on the other hand, received a rebate of $426/year for electricity AND a rebate of $424/year for water and sewerage services – a total of $850/year in concessions, double what renters received.

By combining the rebate into one and applying it to electricity bills, the rebate system is fairer. It means all Canberrans get the same amount of support, regardless of whether they own a home or not.

Has the rebate amount changed?

Yes, the combined rebate is now $604/year. This means if you are renting you will receive a bigger concession, and if you are a homeowner you will receive a smaller concession. 

How do I apply?

If you already have a concession applied to your electricity account, you don’t need to do anything. The concession will be increased from $426/year to $604/year automatically.

If you don’t have a concession applied to your electricity account, you need to contact your electricity provider to confirm your eligibility. Check your electricity provider’s website for details on how to apply.

Who is eligible?

Eligible applicants must be the primary holder of one of the following concession cards:  

  • Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card (PCC)
  • Centrelink Low Income Health  Care Card (HCC)
  • Veteran’s Affairs Pensioner Concession Card, Gold Card and TPI. 

For primary card holders of a Low  Income Health Care Card, a new application needs to be made each time a new card is issued. Only the primary card holder can apply for the Utilities Concession. The primary card holder’s name and address must be the same as the name and address appearing on the electricity account. The concession can only be claimed from the start date of the primary card holder’s concession card. Please note: the Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card is not an eligible card under the scheme.

More information

For more information go to the ACT Government website.

For tips on how to reduce your water bills, visit

Or you can talk to us on or 02 6248 3111.