Skip to main content
water meter

Your water meter

Every household has a water meter on the property that is usually in the front yard close to your property boundary line.

The meter measures the number of litres of water used in your house and garden. Your meter also has an isolation valve that turns the household water supply off during maintenance or in an emergency.

When it comes to your meter, we will;

  • Provide a 24-hour emergency phone service for you to report faults or leaks around the water meter. Talk to us on (02) 6248 3111.
  • In most cases, we maintain the connection pipe from the water main to the water meter, including the water meter and the isolation valve.
  • Read the meter on a quarterly basis for billing purposes.

You are responsible for maintaining the pipes and other water infrastructure on the "house" side of the meter.

What you need to do:

  • Keep the water meter box and protective lid in good condition.
  • Keep a one (1) meter clearance around your water meter. You must ensure vegetation and landscaping does not hinder access for reading or maintenance
  • Provide unhindered access to the water meter for reading and maintenance. You may also install an Icon Water lock should the meter be located behind a gate or door. 
  • Protect the isolation valve/ball valve and water meter from damage. You may be charged for the cost to repair damage to the water meter, isolation valve/ball valve, water meter box or lid.
  • You must engage a licensed plumber for all plumbing work. However, you may change tap washers without engaging a licensed plumber.
  • Ensure all plumbing work connected to the Icon Water network is approved by the ACT Government Environment and Planning Directorate who administer the standards required for household plumbing installations and inspect new or modified plumbing works.

You can use your meter to track your usage yourself and to check for leaks in your home or garden

  • Read your meter at approximately the same time each month (Note both the black and red numbers).
  • Calculate your monthly water use by deducting the previous meter reading from the current reading.
  • Calculate your daily water use by dividing by the number of days in the month.

How do I read my meter?


New connections and disconnections

To organise the connection of a new meter to your property, or temporary disconnection of services, contact Icon Water on 02 6248 3111 or complete the request form.

For a list of costs download Miscellaneous fees and charges 2022-23

Conveyancing and meter reading

If you are moving in or out of your home or would just like to have your meter re-read, you can request to have a special meter read.

I’d like to request a meter read.

Moving your meter

If you require your water meter to be relocated, the following rules apply:

  • Meters must be at least one metre inside of the front boundary line of the property.
  • Meters can not be raised or lowered by more than one metre.
  • If you need to move your meter less than 1.5 metres to the left or right or vertically less than one metre of the current position, Icon Water will complete all plumbing works including works on the house side of the meter. 
  • If you need to move your meter more than 1.5 metres to the left or right of the current position, a new connection to the main is required and the existing connection to the main will be disconnected. In this instance a licenced plumber will need to complete all plumbing works on the house side of the meter once your plans have been approved by Icon Water
  • Water meters must be installed according to Icon Water’s Water Supply and Sewerage Standards.

Fill out this form to request a quote from us to move your meter.

Reporting a fault

If you have a fault in your water meter, such as a leaking meter, let us know on 02 6248 3111 for 24-hour faults and emergency support. 

The water meter replacement program 

We have commenced a major water meter replacement program across the ACT that will see more than 18,000 residential water meters replaced by the end of 2017.

Find out more about the program and what it means for you. 


click to view

Domestic meter installations

Relocation of a water meter

Miscellaneous fees and charges 2022-23

Water meter application for unit development

Request for a special water meter reading

Access and clearance to assets