Skip to main content
Project Advice

Changes or additions to my property

Before making changes or additions to your property, whether it's a minor task (like landscaping) or a major land development, you must show us your project is compliant with our standards and guidelines. You can do this by completing our application process.

This procedure can be difficult for some homeowners and first-time developers to navigate, so we have created the advice pathways below to help.

Why is this page helpful?
The four pathways below will guide you towards any information relevant to your project. This will help you show compliance by successfully completing our application process, and bring you one step closer to your goal.

Feeling confident you already have what you need? Review our application advice.

Getting started
Your project can fit within one of four categories. Please select the option below that best applies to you.

If you haven’t already, we strongly advise contacting Before You Dig Australia. Your property could contain assets limiting your project's scope. Contacting them now could save you a headache later.

Homes and dual occupancies

Select this category if your project involves:

  • Changes to your property, such as installing a pool, adding a carport or landscaping.
  • Construction of a standalone house, secondary residence or dual occupancy.

Building three (3) or more town houses

Select this category if you are constructing three (3) or more town houses, or a mix of town houses and other buildings.
 Do not select this category if your development is a mix of town houses and multi-unit buildings. Instead, select all other types of development.


New suburbs, estates & roads

Select this category if you are developing:

  • a suburb 
  • an estate
  • roads.

All other types of development

Select this category if you are developing or making changes to:

  • a multi-unit residential building (e.g., apartments)
  • a non-residential building (for example: buildings of worship, child care, schools, hospitals, offices, retailers, warehouses or hotels)
  • a mixed-use building (e.g., the building has different crown leases).



We’re always happy to help

For general queries, you can contact us directly at Our team will do their best to respond within 24 hours. 

If you need a bit more assistance, or just prefer talking to a person, you can call us on 02 6248 3111 (select option 3).